3 Simple, Inexpensive Ways to Give Your Bedroom a Makeover
You don’t have to spend a fortune to give your bedroom a chic makeover. Finding creative ways to update your decor is part of the fun of any redo.
Here are three simple ideas to get you started on fixing up your bedroom on a budget.
Paint Your Room
Nothing changes the look and feel of a room more quickly than a new paint job. If you have no idea what color to paint, first think about the mood you want to create in your room, then make a choice of color based on these tips:
- Shades of Red – Red is passion, fire, energy, power and love.
- Shades of Orange – Orange is hot, tropical, sunshine and joy.
- Shades of Yellow – Yellow is energy, cheer, mental stimulation and intellect.
- Shades of Green – Green is growth, harmony, fertility and freshness.
- Shades of Blue – Blue is trust, depth, loyalty, stability and wisdom.
- Shades of Purple – Purple is royalty, power, nobility, ambition and luxury.
- Shades of White – White is safety, cleanliness, purity, goodness and faith.
- Shades of Black – Black is power, elegance, formality and mystery.
Choose a light shade for a brighter, more subdued room and a darker shade for a bolder, cozier feeling.
Make the Bed the Focal Point
Once your walls are painted, it’s time to turn your bed into a work of art. If you have a dull, boring headboard–or no headboard at all–start with this very important feature. If you’re attached to it, paint your existing headboard to complement the wall color.
If your color scheme is sunshine, try a deep orange headboard against a yellow wall. If you’re going with elegance, a crisp white headboard against a charcoal gray wall is a striking combination. To start from scratch, consider these headboard options:
- Paint – Use a stencil and paint a headboard directly on the wall.
- Plywood – Cut a piece of plywood with a jigsaw to create the shape you want, then paint it, mosaic it, cover it with fabric, or stain and seal it for a natural look.
- Curtains – Hang ceiling-to-floor curtains behind your bed. Use a shade lighter or darker than your wall color for a subtle look or go bold and choose a complementary color.
Once you have the headboard figured out, dress up the bed itself. New bedding doesn’t need to cost you an arm and a leg; shop for bedding at your local discount department store. Choose a color that complements the wall color and the mood of the room. For example, a country-chic look featuring white walls calls for crisp white bedding with a quilt for the bedspread.
A classic, modern look with brown walls could feature ice blue or sage green bedding. Toss lots of pillows on the bed for that comfy, cozy look–make the pillow covers yourself to save money; use embellishments such as colored piping, fringes, appliques or buttons.
Find one-of-a-kind accessories at your local thrift store or antique shop. Update unique lamps with a new shade or a can of enamel spray paint. Ornate mismatched frames can be painted and fitted with artwork or photos. Interesting wall hangings, a mid-century chair, a long bench or a set of colored glass perfume bottles can dress up your space and make it totally you–just keep an open mind and think about how interesting pieces can be manipulated with paint, fabric or a good cleanup job to make them match or fit the space.